If you love maraschino cherries, raise your glass to this Cherry Lover’s Manhattan Cocktail!
This week I am bringing you a cherrytastic Manhattan cocktail recipe. I first tried a Manhattan years ago and was not impressed with how strong it was; I don’t usually like purely booze drinks. Recently, I have decided (for no good reason) that Manhattans pair well with old-school steak dinners, so I have created my own version that is a little sweeter and goes down more easily. Check out this recipe at Esquire magazine for a more classic Manhattan recipe (and turn away from what you are about to see).
I had a bottle of Luxardo maraschino liqueur in my cabinet from when I made Aviation cocktails a while back, and I thought it would be great for adding even more of that cherry flavor I love to this drink. Since that wasn’t quite enough, I also added a couple spoonfuls of the juice from the jar of cherries. Now, I realize that that “juice” is mostly corn syrup and red dye when it comes to plain ol’ grocery store maraschino cherries, but if you use a homemade or high quality version, it will be even better. Either way, you’ll appreciate the additional sweetness the cherry juice brings if you find traditional Manhattans a bit too strong like I do.
Do you have you own favorite version of a Manhattan cocktail that’s different than mine? Tell me about it in the comments! I’d love to try it your way too.
Wondering what to do with the rest of that Luxardo? Make your own maraschino cherries!
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #188: Working Out Some Kinks - August 27, 2016
- One Pot Black Eyed Peas and Rice with Chicken - August 23, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #187: Sneaking in Veggies - August 20, 2016
- Perfect Mexican Rice - August 19, 2016
- Quick Hasselback Potatoes - August 15, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #186: Back to School Dinners - August 13, 2016
- 20 Strawberry Recipes You Don’t Want to Miss! - August 10, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #185: Trying (again) to get healthy. - August 6, 2016
- Waldorf Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps - August 2, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #184: Slow Cooker Roast, Taquitos, Salad, and More! - July 31, 2016