I’m no stranger to one-dish dinners. In fact, I try to make dinner in one pot as often as possible! This easy cheese tortellini with sausage recipe is a perfect example of a delicious, easy meal that doesn’t require much time or many dishes. I was going to add “Cajun” or “spicy” to this recipe’s name because I used andouille sausage and hot sauce, but you can really use any flavor of sausage that you like. I prefer chicken or turkey sausage, and there are so many delicious flavors available. What are some of your favorite types of sausage? Let me know what kind you use when you try this recipe!Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 12 ounces chicken or turkey fully-cooked sausage sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 20 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini (family-sized package)
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
- pepper or hot sauce to taste
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and sausage, and saute for about 7 minutes, or until starting to brown. Add garlic and cook an additional minute or two.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage mixture, and stir to coat. Add chicken broth a little at a time, stirring constantly, to form a smooth sauce. Bring to a low boil, and add tortellini.
- Simmer pasta in broth mixture for the recommended cooking time on the package, stirring frequently. About three minutes before pasta is done, stir in spinach and cream, and gently stir until the spinach wilts. Add pepper or hot sauce if desired.
- Turn off heat, and allow pasta to stand for about 5 minutes before serving. Sauce will still be thin, but it will thicken up as it cools and will be perfect for leftovers.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Pasta