Classic Buffalo Chicken Dip is reinvented into a comforting family dinner—Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie with Ranch Mashed Potatoes!
Hi! I’m Sheila from Life, Love, and Good Food, and I’m excited to bring you this delicious and easy recipe for Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie. This dish may seem complicated, but with a few simple shortcuts it’s a lot easier than you may make think.
First, there were Buffalo Chicken Wings, and then there was Buffalo Chicken Dip. Now, all that spicy, tangy flavor is served up in a tasty dinner casserole, Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie! This dish starts with the basic concept of traditional shepherd’s pie, but instead has a base of modified Buffalo Chicken Dip and a topping of creamy Ranch mashed potatoes.
Traditional shepherd’s pie can take a long time to prepare (chopping and dicing carrots and onions plus cooking the meat for the filling), but this version comes together very quickly. I use rotisserie chicken from my grocery deli, so the only real prep work required is peeling and cooking the potatoes and chopping a bit of onion.
If you want to save even more time, substitute frozen mashed potatoes and just add in the ranch seasoning and sour cream. No one will be the wiser! Just smile and say “thank you” when the compliments start coming from around the dinner table. :)
There are just three basic steps in making this delicious dinner:
First: Mash the cooked potatoes with sour cream and add the special ingredient, ranch seasoning mix. I swear there’s nothing better than a good potato with Ranch dressing. Am I right or what?!
Next: Sauté onions, and add the rest of the chicken filling ingredients.
Finally: Layer the chicken, potatoes, and a little extra cheese in a casserole dish and bake. How simple is that?!
Once you try this easy recipe, I’m sure it will be making a repeat appearance on your dinner table, so go ahead and save this one to your recipe box now!
- 5–6 medium size Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken removed from bone and shredded (without skin)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese for topping
Prepare the potatoes:
- Peel and dice potatoes. Cook in boiling water until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain.
- Using a potato masher or hand held mixer, mix in sour cream and Ranch packet. Add milk until desired consistency is achieved.
Prepare the buffalo chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté onions in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Add the tomato paste, wing sauce, and chicken broth and stir until smooth. Add shredded chicken and the blue cheese and mozzarella cheese and stir.
- Pour chicken mixture into a lightly greased casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes – pipe them on if you want to get fancy :) Top potatoes with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly and the top is lightly golden.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
Need more Buffalo Chicken in your life? Try these recipes!