When you’re cooking on a budget, this poor man’s steak dinner is just the thing! Inexpensive cuts of meat turn into fork tender steaks. Feed a family of four for under $10!
These fork tender steaks with green beans and gravy are just about perfect for dinner if you ask me. If you are not new to The Weary Chef, you know that I love the following (in no particular order):
- Rice and gravy
- One-dish meals
- Recipes that only require one pot
- Anything involving the word “easy”
- Saving money on meat
This skillet dinner delivers on all of those! (I didn’t include wine and chocolate in the list of things I love because those really don’t come into play here, although wine is certainly a welcome guest at dinner). I know it might look a tad, you know… gray. These tender, savory steaks simmer for a couple hours, and what they lack in color they more than make up for in flavor and texture.
What’s great about this recipe is that you can use inexpensive cuts of meat that you might not want to grill and turn them into something special. I used four boneless chuck steaks that I bought for $6 total. Add in the other few ingredients, and this dinner for four cost under $10! I hope you enjoy this tasty, frugal dinner!Print
- 4 boneless chuck steaks 5-6 oz. each
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 14 oz. can beef broth
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion cut in half and sliced thin
- 12 oz. green beans cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Pour worcestershire sauce evenly over the steaks, and lightly sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper.
- Stir beef broth, sour cream, and garlic powder together with a fork, and set aside.
- Heat a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, and heat until shimmery. Add onion, and cook until starting to brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Push onion to one side of the pan, and place steaks in. Cook steaks about 2 minutes per side, just until browned. Reduce heat to medium. Shift steaks to center of pan, and arrange onions over the top.
- Spread green beans over the meat, and pour beef broth mixture over the top. Bring to a simmer. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 2 hours, until steaks are fork tender. (Check on the pan occasionally to make sure it stays at a low simmer.)
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir cornstarch into 1/4 c. cold water until dissolved. Pour cornstarch slurry into skillet and gently stir. This step will thicken the gravy a bit.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 120
- Category: Main
You’ll also love these easy dinners: