Put down your can opener because I’m about to tell you how to make a scrumptious, easy tuna casserole from scratch! This one-dish dinner is full of noodles, veggies, tuna, and deliciousness. I dare say it’s even better leftover, so it’s perfect for lunches too.Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 5 ounces mushrooms diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pasta rotini is a good choice
- 1 cup asparagus trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese divided
- 7 1/2 ounces albacore tuna pouches
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions and mushrooms in butter until onions are translucent, 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, and stir well.
- Add chicken broth a little at a time, stirring constantly, until smooth. Add salt and pepper, then bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Add uncooked pasta, and return to simmer. Cook one minute less than pasta package directions.
- Stir in buttermilk, asparagus, carrots, and tuna. Return to a simmer, then stir in 1 c. cheese and cook until cheese is melted.
- Pour casserole into prepared baking dish, and sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. cheese over the top. Bake 15-20 minutes in preheated oven, until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Main