Get your day off to a delicious start with these chocolate cherry muffins loaded with sweet cherries and chocolate chips!
I’m not always the best at sharing recipes that are right for the season. I usually forget to post Irish recipes for St. Patrick’s Day and write soup recipes in Summer. Cherry recipes especially confuse me because they seem popular around Valentine’s Day and Christmas, but cherries are in season in the summer. When am I supposed to post those?? Today. Today is when I will post a cherry recipe whether it’s the right time or not.
Isn’t any time the right time for muffins loaded with cherries and chocolate chunks? I say yes. I actually baked these with thawed frozen cherries, so they really are perfect for any time of year. I woke up on Father’s Day morning and wanted to make something special for Matt, but I didn’t have any fresh cherries on hand. These beauties shown in the photos were acquired later in the day, and I have a little story about that.
I sent Matt to run into the store for cherries while we waited in the car. He came back out with these gorgeous red cherries and said they were the expensive ones but he got them for cheap. Apparently there was one kind on sale for $1.99/pound, but he grabbed these which were $6/pound. The cashier said he probably got the expensive ones by accident, so she just charged him the sale price. How lucky is that??
When my 4-year-old heard that we were getting the cherries for the muffin photos, he asked if I was going to put the cherries on the muffins like little hats for pictures. I find that to be a hilarious question, especially since he wasn’t even kidding. I wanted to encourage his creative food styling ideas, so here is his cherry hat photo. Not bad.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cherries pitted and cut in half
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or grease with butter or shortening. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir cherries and chocolate chips into the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry just until mixed. Use a spring-loaded disher or a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop batter evenly into muffin tin.
- Bake in preheated oven 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- You can use your favorite combination of flour. All white flour will give the lightest result, but you could combine white and whole wheat flours or spelt and gluten-free flours (as I did).
- You can use fresh or thawed frozen cherries in this recipe with good results.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
If you love muffins, you’ll want to check out these recipes too!