Try this blue margarita recipe for your next cocktail hour, and wow your friends with an electric blue drink!
This week I’m bringing you a fun twist on classic margaritas (my favorite cocktail), but first let me tell you why I found myself with this lovely blue liqueur in the first place. I recently aspired to make this drink:
Gorgeous, no? Please note that the recipe is really just a list of ingredients without instructions, but I was sure it was just a matter of slow pouring to get the beautiful layered effect. Of course I wanted to make it my own, so I substituted pomegranate liqueur (I found a tiny trial-sized bottle for this purpose) for the grenadine and orange juice for the pineapple juice because that’s what I had on hand. This was A LOT of flavors in one drink, which is not typically my style, but I was sure it would taste OK if not better.
Folks, my version was all kinds of wrong. The layering didn’t work at all (apparently you have to actually plan the layers based on the density of each ingredient), so it was sort of a bluish-brown mess. I gave it a taste to make sure it was worth trying again, and it tasted TERRIBLE! I choked down the one sip and promptly poured the rest down the drain. Granted, I’m not a big fan of super fruity drinks, but that one was really a disaster.
So, there I was, left with a bottle of bright blue liqueur, which as it turns out is actually orange flavored. The bottle proudly claims “All Natural Flavors,” but there is nothing natural about that color. I looked up blue curacao on Wikipedia, and it didn’t really explain why it’s blue, just that it is. I wasn’t sure what to do with booze that looks like a cleaning product, but I wanted to come up with something.
Since my adventurous drink was a flop, I decided to take my ambition down a notch and make a blue variation of my best margarita recipe. It actually tasted quite good, was less potent than my usual recipe (blue curacao is only 15% alcohol), and the color was a fun change. This easy blue margarita will be perfect for your next cocktail hour. Wow your friends with an electric blue drink!
You’ll also love these colorful cocktails!
- Avocado Salsa Chicken Recipe - September 27, 2016
- What’s For Dinner? Check out this week’s meal plan! - September 23, 2016
- Fall Potluck Casserole with Turkey and Squash - September 21, 2016
- Cheesy Chili Pasta Bake in 30 Minutes - September 15, 2016
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Artichokes - September 11, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #190: Casseroles, Burgers, and More - September 10, 2016
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread - September 9, 2016
- Teriyaki Tilapia Casserole - September 7, 2016
- Easy Cheeseburger Boats - September 6, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #189: Welcoming September - September 3, 2016