These no-bake, gluten-free Cinnamon S’mores Bars will satisfy your chocolate and marshmallow craving with no campfire required!
It’s s’mores week, y’all! How do I know? Um, Lisa from Wine and Glue told me, so it must be true, right? Truth be told, I have no idea who started this weeklong celebration of chocolate and marshmallows. I could find National S’Mores Day in Wikipedia for August 10th, but it doesn’t tell about where it came from.
This whole thing raises a lot of questions for me. As it turns out, there are A LOT of National <insert food here> Days. National Doughnut Day? Check. National Hot Dog Day? Of course. National Tequila Day? My favorite. Those all sound somewhat reasonable, but check out some of these more outlandish food holidays:
- March 13 – National Coconut Torte Day (Isn’t that a tad specific?)
- April 29 – National Shrimp Scampi Day (Couldn’t just National Shrimp Day be good enough?)
- May 4 – National Candied Orange Peel Day (Who even eats that?!)
- October 14 – National Dessert Day (Isn’t this every day?)
Can we all agree that food holidays are a little, well, silly? Now look at us. We can’t even be happy to have just a single day for s’mores. It needs an entire week! I guess we will use this week to research recipes to make on August 10th. Which one will you make out of this awesome lineup? I recommend trying at least one a day to really thoroughly research your options.
My contribution to s’mores week is these Cinnamon S’mores Bars. Let’s talk for a moment about what goes into s’mores: Chocolate, Marshmallows, and Graham Crackers. Graham crackers happen to be made of wheat, and wheat hates me now. Or, my body hates wheat depending on how you look at it. I like to blame the wheat instead of myself. The point is, graham crackers are out. I tried S’mores Graham Crispy Treats by Country Cleaver last year, and they were so, so good. I wanted to take that recipe and make it with gluten-free cereal.
Cinnamon sounded like a delicious addition to me, so I went with Cinnamon Chex. I also wanted to go with bigger chunks of dark chocolate since s’mores makes me think of big pieces of chocolate bar (and dark chocolate is just good). Finally, I stirred in extra mini marshmallows to make these cereal bars unmistakably s’mores. I know it looks like the bars are falling apart in these photos, but it’s just because I rushed the pictures
because I couldn’t wait to get s’mores bars in my mouth. I assure you that these bars hold together just like rice crispy treats. I also assure you that they are really, really good. Really. Don’t wait for National S’mores Day to try out this tasty, easy, no-bake dessert!
- 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 12 oz. box Cinnamon Chex cereal
- 4.5 oz. dark chocolate bar, chopped into ½” pieces
- Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Measure ½ c. of the marshmallows and set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the remaining marshmallows and butter. Microwave on high for about 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until marshmallows and butter and melted completely. Stir in vanilla.
- Add cereal, and gently stir to coat. Add chocolate and ½ c. marshmallows, and stir to incorporate. Pour that s’mores goodness into the prepared baking dish. Use a piece of wax paper to press the cereal mixture evenly into the pan.
- Allow to set at room temperature at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.