This flavorful slow cooker chicken stroganoff recipe is easy to make in the afternoon, so you don’t have to rush to cook at the end of the day.
This is not your typical slow cooker recipe since it’s ready in about three hours and doesn’t need to cook all day. It’s great for starting when you have time in the afternoon before the evening gets crazy with homework and soccer practice and all the other activities that make evenings hectic.
This recipe is a bit of a blank slate. You could add mushrooms with the chicken or peas with the cream cheese (so they don’t get overcooked). Since this is one of the few dinners both of my kids will eat, I keep it simple and serve vegetables on the side so my boys don’t start finding ingredients to complain about.
If you want to try making your own Italian dressing mix instead of using the packaged version, there is a great recipe here. I’ve done that the last couple times with excellent results, plus it’s way cheaper than buying the packets!
Adapted from Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff by Judi Ann at AllRecipes.com
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 0.7-oz. Zesty Italian salad dressing mix packet (or 3 tablespoons of homemade mix)
- 4-oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 10.75-oz. can reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup
- ¼ c. sour cream (reduced fat or regular is fine)
- bag of whole wheat egg noodles (12-16 ounces)
- Place chicken, butter, and salad dressing mix into slow cooker. Cook on low 2-3 hours, until chicken is cooked through. Stir occasionally during cooking process if you are around.
- Stir in soup and cream cheese. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add sour cream and stir stroganoff until evenly combined. Serve over warm egg noodles, or you can stir the noodles into the chicken mixture and serve it that way.
You might also like…