These cheesy BBQ Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs are fun and easy to make. Perfect for the oven or grill. Serve them on buns or on their own for a lower carb treat!
This recipe came about because my boys love bacon. I know most of us like bacon, but their love runs deep. One night I was feeling ambitious and fun when it was time to make their dinner, so I surprised them with bacon-wrapped hot dogs. They were more than a little excited!
My husband I felt kind of left out since I only made two for the kids, so I wanted to make them again. I also wanted to make them again to show you guys because they were such a hit! I decided that the way I made them originally — wrapping the turkey dogs in bacon and cooking them in a pan — wasn’t really enough to qualify as a recipe. That’s when BBQ sauce and cheese got involved.
Now, one could say that this still isn’t exactly a recipe since I suggest using bottled BBQ sauce, but that’s OK. I’m pretty sure you like recipe shortcuts as much as I do! There are about a million options for BBQ sauce, so this way you can choose your favorite or make your own if you like. I always look for a sauce that is a little spicy and doesn’t contain high fructose corn syrup, but otherwise I don’t really have any brand loyalties. What’s your favorite?
I baked these bacon wrapped hot dogs in the oven, but I bet you could make them on the grill this summer with good results. The biggest worry is the bacon sticking, but just make sure your grill is good and hot. To prevent sticking in the oven, I greased my baking rack with shortening as seen in this video, or you could spray it with cooking spray.
You can eat these cheesy BBQ bacon dogs on buns or just with a knife and fork if you can’t or don’t want to eat bread. They’d be really good to pair with Deviled Egg Potato Salad and maybe some crunchy apple slices. I hope you have as much fun with this recipe as we did!
- 4 hot dogs (I like preservative-free turkey dogs.)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (approximate measurement)
- 2 slices colby jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and place a wire baking rack on top. Spray the rack with cooking spray or grease it with a little shortening.
- Wrap each hot dog in one slice of bacon. (See video above for demonstration.) Place wrapped dogs a couple inches apart on the baking rack.
- Bake hot dogs in preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until bacon is browned.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven, and generously brush hot dogs with BBQ sauce. Place a half slice of cheese on top of each hot dog.
- Return pan to oven, and bake approximately 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is completely melted. (Be careful to keep the pan flat when removing it from the oven to prevent the hot dogs from rolling around.)
- Serve hot dogs right away either on their own or in buns.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20