These Black and White Chocolate Muddy Buddies feature gluten-free cereal coated with dark and white chocolate, all dusted in powdered sugar. It’s a perfect snack or edible gift!
This was my first time every making muddy buddies. In fact, I think I’ve only eaten them once when my son got them for a to-go prize at a birthday party. He asked me to carry them, and you know I can’t carry a cupcake liner full of powdered sugar goodness without sampling it. After the first bite, I saw why this stuff is so popular (and addictive). I think I was a bit put off by the alternate name, “puppy chow.” I don’t like to eat food named after pet food (or other gross-sounding things like dirt cake), so I never gave those recipes a second glance. Now that I understand that we’re talking cereal, sugar, and other goodies thrown in for good measure, I’m on board!
This batch of Black and White Chocolate Muddy Buddies didn’t take that long to make, and it was a fun project to do with my 3-year-old son. Since it’s mostly pouring and shaking, he could actually help with this one. This recipe includes dark and white chocolate muddy buddies, so you are basically making two batches and stirring them together. It’s so easy though that even twice the work isn’t that much work.
I will say that the white chocolate chips didn’t exactly melt into a pourable form, more like a paste. I was still able to stir them into the Chex OK, so don’t panic if that happens to you. Also, I would advise against trying to be a hero and heating the dark and white chocolate at the same time in the microwave unless you are working as a two-person team. If it’s just you, you can only stir one bowl at a time, and the other chocolate is hardening while you’re stirring one. Just save yourself some stress and do them individually. It will take like five extra minutes.
Now, go grab yourself some powdered sugar and get ready to get happy!
Recipe adapted from Chex Vanilla Muddy Buddies.Print
- 12 oz. Rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla divided
- 1 1/3 c. powdered sugar divided
- Evenly pour cereal between two large plastic containers with tight-fitting lids (about 4 1/2 cups per container).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add white chocolate chips and 2 tbsp. butter. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and then heat for 30 seconds longer. Stir vigorously until chocolate chips are completely melted. If mixture is too stiff or chips aren’t melting completely, you can heat for another 15-30 seconds.
- Stir in 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and pour melted chocolate over one container of cereal. Immediately stir to coat. The white chocolate will probably be pretty thick, but keep stirring, gently breaking up any large chunks with your spatula. It will get incorporated.
- Pour 2/3 c. powdered sugar over the top of the coated cereal. Place the lid on the container, and shake to coat. You’ll need to shake in all directions and turn the container upside down and back a couple times to evenly coat with sugar. Lay a piece of parchment or wax paper on a large baking sheet, and spread your delicious muddy buddies on the paper to cool and set.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with the dark chocolate chips and the other container of cereal. Mix both finished flavors together to make Black and White Muddy Buddies. Grab a handful and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20
- Category: Dessert
Looking for more cereal goodness? You’ll love these recipes too!