Be a hero at your next potluck with this easy Loaded Potato Salad recipe! (Thanks to Smart & Final and Instacart for sponsoring today’s side dish.)
Haven’t you always thought potato salad was missing something? Something like meat and cheese? Then you are going to love this hearty side dish! I say it’s a side dish, but honestly, it could be the main attraction with a green salad on the side. We enjoyed it with BBQ turkey lettuce wraps for a great summer dinner. This recipe is born for summer potlucks too!
I got everything I needed for this recipe at Smart & Final. Have you been there? It’s kind of a cross between a warehouse store and grocery store, but you don’t need a membership to shop there. I love it because they have items in bulk or normal sizes. This works for us because we have a small house and can’t always store or use mass quantities of food or household goods. They have lots of name brands you know and their own brands for even better prices. If you’re shopping for a party or potluck, they have everything you could need from food, drinks, plates and napkins, charcoal… you get the idea.
What could be better than one-stop shopping? Letting someone else do the stopping (and shopping) for you! I’m lucky enough to have Instacart offer delivery from Smart & Final right to my door. Not only could I find everything I needed for my recipe online (plus a few other must-haves), my groceries were delivered to me in about an hour.
I thought the handoff of my order might be a little awkward since I don’t normally order groceries and didn’t know what to expect. I had no need to worry. The friendly driver literally knocked on the door, handed me my bags, and left.
I didn’t have to do anything else since the payment was all done online. I flippin’ love this service and will definitely use it again! You should check out instacart.com to see if they are available in your area.
How to Make Loaded Potato Salad
This loaded potato salad is GOOD STUFF, friends! You should make it the next time you are going to a potluck, and you’ll be the hero of the party. Making it just for your family is good too, and then you won’t have to share with as many people. Trust me. You’ll want a second helping.
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced into 3/4” cubes
- 10 ounces low-fat plain yogurt or substitute light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3/4 pound First Street Hickory Smoked Ham diced into small cubes
- 3/4 pound First Street Sharp Cheddar Cheese diced into small cubes
- 1 bunch green onions sliced thin
- Place cubed potatoes in a medium pot, and cover with water. Add about a teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil. (Covering the pot will make them boil faster.)
- Boil approximately 10 minutes or until potatoes are easy to cut with a fork. Drain and rinse cooked potatoes with cold water.
- While potatoes cook, dice your other ingredients. Whisk together the yogurt, salt, hot sauce, and lemon juice until smooth. Add cooked potatoes, ham, cheese, and green onions.
- Stir gently to coat with yogurt mixture. Add additional salt or hot sauce to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
To lighten this recipe up more, try using 2% milk cheese instead of full fat.
- Prep Time: 15