What do you think of when you hear the word “daiquiri”? Is it a sweet blended drink, possibly bright pink, with an umbrella garnish? That’s what I thought too, but as it turns out, a classic rum daiquiri is a very simple drink. In fact, it’s a lot like a margarita, my absolute favorite cocktail. This classic recipe balances sweet, tart, and rum flavors into one tasty beverage. I have actually been wanting to share a daiquiri recipe for a Friday Happy Hour post for a while now, but other ideas kept shoving their way to the front of the line. As luck would have it, I was recently contacted by Real McCoy Spirits and offered a bottle of their premium sipping rum to sample. Never one to turn down booze (that’s just plain rude, right?), I eagerly accepted their generous offer. Since the rum really shines in this daiquiri recipe, it was made for an award-winning spirit like this one. The Real McCoy didn’t disappoint, making for a smooth and very drinkable daiquiri.Print
- 1 1/2 oz. premium rum like The Real McCoy
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. simple syrup see notes for instructions
- Fill a small rocks glass with ice, and place in freezer to chill.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine rum, lime juice, and simple syrup. Add a few ice cubes, and shake well.
- Strain mixed cocktail over ice in chilled glass an enjoy. (Alternatively, you can strain this into a chilled martini glass without the ice if you prefer.)
To make simple syrup: Combine 2 parts sugar to 1 part water (for example, 1/2 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water) in a microwavable glass measuring cup. Heat for 1-2 minutes, and stir until sugar is dissolved completely. Set aside to cool before using. (Simple syrup can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for about two weeks.)
- Prep Time: 3
- Category: Cocktail