This moist, hearty cornbread casserole can be made with chicken for a main dish or without for a delicious side dish!
I happen to be a big fan of corn casserole. It’s a lot like cornbread, which I love, but there is even more corn in it, so that’s clearly a win. This week, I wondered if I could turn cornbread casserole into a main dish because this would (1) save time, and (2) allow me to eat a bigger portion! I decided that adding chicken would be enough to make it into an entree, so I set out to do just that. I considered stirring in more ingredients to fancy it up a bit more like diced jalapeños, green onions, or a more nutritious vegetable than corn. Then I remembered my sweet, wonderful, angelic children, the precious children who don’t eat most foods. I decided if I wanted to stand a chance of getting them to eat this dish, I had best keep it simple. This easy cornbread casserole is moist, hearty, and delicious. To be honest, the chicken didn’t add a whole lot except protein. I certainly didn’t mind it being in there, but this casserole would be just as great as a traditional corn casserole side dish. The recipe is a winner, but the chicken is very optional!Print
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. sour cream or plain yogurt reduced fat is fine
- 14 oz. can creamed corn
- 11 oz. can Mexicorn drained
- 8.5 oz. box cornbread mix
- 1/2 c. shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a square baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add diced chicken, sprinkle with chili powder and salt, and sauté until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg and yogurt in a medium bowl. Stir in creamed corn, Mexicorn, cornbread mix, and cheese until just combined. Stir in cooked chicken.
- Spread cornbread mixture into prepared baking dish, and bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, until center is set.
If you would like a cheesier casserole, sprinkle another 1/2 c. cheese over the top for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40