You’ll love this versatile enchilada skillet recipe that can be made with chicken or beef!
Hi! I’m Sheila from Life, Love, and Good Food, and I’m excited to bring you this easy dinner recipe today! I know what it’s like to be a working mom with a busy career and schedules to coordinate for busy kids. I also know how easy it is to get sucked into picking up fast food for those busy weeknights. Fast food meals can get old really fast.
Are you with me on this? Whew! Despite all that busyness, I believe it’s really important to make the effort to have home-cooked meals as often as possible, but that doesn’t mean you have to spend hours in the kitchen. That’s why I’m excited to share with you busy moms a recipe for this EASY Enchilada Skillet, with options for either chicken or beef. It can be ready and on your table in less than 30 minutes!
I love all kinds of Mexican food, and I especially love enchiladas, but they can be a bit time consuming to prepare by the time you make the sauce, cook the filling, stuff and roll the tortillas, and then bake for 30-40 minutes. With this recipe, you get all the flavor in just half the time and in a single skillet — that’s a big bonus for me!
This recipe can be easily adapted for either chicken or beef and can be adjusted for your family’s “heat index” by using either HOT or MILD canned tomatoes and green chilies. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the recipe by adding jalapeños, black beans, or whole kernel corn. For my family, I like tossing in a few black beans for the beef version, but it’s totally optional with either version of this dish.Print
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 pound ground beef cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 12 corn tortillas torn into bite-sized pieces
- 10 ounces canned diced tomatoes & green chilies undrained (use mild or hot)
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions sliced (for garnish)
For the Chicken Version
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken and tortillas to the skillet and stir to mix well. Cover skillet and cook over medium heat for about five minutes, stirring often.
For the Beef Version
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add ground beef and chopped onion and cook and stir over medium hight heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Pour off any grease from skillet and wipe clean. Return the beef mixture to the skillet and add the torn tortillas and black beans, stirring to mix well. Cover skillet and cook over medium heat for about five minutes, stirring often.
For Both Versions
- Add the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce to the meat mixture and mix well. Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook five more minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and sliced green onions and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Mexican Food, Poultry, Red Meat
- Cuisine: Mexican
How about adding a dollop of this quick guacamole on top?