These Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are sure to be your new favorite no-bake dessert recipe!
I have been wanting to make rice krispie treats for a couple weeks now, but it kept not working out. One time the store brand crisp rice cereal was sold out, and I wasn’t about to pay $5 for a box of cereal. Another time, I thought I had a bag of marshmallows, but I was sadly mistaken. On Monday, the stars aligned, and I finally got a chance to make these chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats! That also happened to be the Fourth of July, and I think there’s something all-American about peanut butter. Don’t you?
If you love peanut butter cookies, peanut butter cups, and other peanut butter chocolate treats, you are going to LOVE this easy, no-bake dessert. All you need to do is add some peanut butter with the butter and marshmallows and then stir in mini chocolate chips with the cereal. Voila! Chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats!
These things are good, y’all. I made them before dinner but wanted to taste a little corner to see how they turned out. That corner kept growing and growing until there was a big strip missing out of the pan. Oops! I bet you’ll find these peanut butter rice krispy treats irresistible too. Luckily the rest of my family loves them as much as I do, so I can’t get myself into too much trouble. This easy dessert definitely won’t last long in our house.
One quick tip before I get to the recipe: When you press rice krispie treats into the pan, I recommend doing it with parchment paper. Melted marshmallows have to be the stickiest substance known to man, but somehow the mixture doesn’t stick to parchment. (That stuff is magic I tell you!) Save yourself some frustration, and press with parchment instead of a spatula or your bare hands. It makes this recipe a cinch!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Peanut butter and chocolate chips make these rice crispy treats out of this world!
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 18 1x
- 3 tablespoons butter cut into four pieces
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2/3 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place butter, peanut butter, and marshmallows.
- Heat for approximately 90 seconds, stirring very well every 30 seconds. (Amount of time will depend on your microwave, but it probably won’t take longer than two minutes.) When all contents are melted and smooth, you are ready for the next step. (Melting will continue to happen as you stir.)
- Immediately stir cereal and chocolate chips into the melted marshmallow mixture. Work quickly, and stir until evenly coated.
- Transfer cereal mixture to prepared pan. Press cereal evenly into pan with a piece of parchment paper if available. Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Prep Time: 10
Do I have to use marshmallows can I just use peanut butter