These satisfying Chicken Burrito Bowl are so simple to make and only dirty one pot! I have always been completely in love with Mexican food, and I eat it more than ever since I went gluten free. It’s hard to go out for sandwiches or Chinese or Italian without eating wheat, but Mexican food is pretty friendly for someone with a wheat intolerance. Skip the flour tortillas, and there are loads of foods you can enjoy. One of my favorite lunches out lately has been burrito bowls. I am a huge burrito fan, and I do mean I love HUGE BURRITOS.
Unfortunately, those are out because of the tortillas. the next best thing is a deconstructed burrito in a bowl. When I go to a taqueria, I love how they have all those individual pots of different beans, rice, meat, and toppings. It’s a sight to behold, and they can make each customer’s custom meal in seconds flat. Let me tell you something right now.
I am not going to cook a bunch of separate pots of foods to make a burrito bowl at home! I don’t have a commercial kitchen or professional dishwasher to take care of that mess, so I needed to figure out how to make something resembling my new fav taqueria meal in one pot. It was really easy to do, and you are going to love the result!
This is seriously a no-brainer recipe. You throw ingredients in a pot, let it cook, shred some chicken, and dinner is pretty much done. You can customize this green chicken recipe to add vegetables, use your favorite beans, or make whatever changes you’d like to make it your own. I hope this is a new favorite dinner in your house too!Print
- 16 oz. green salsa
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. uncooked brown rice
- 15 oz. can seasoned black beans drained
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 in tbsp. diced canned chipotle peppersadobo sauce you could substitute fresh or canned diced jalapeños or leave the peppers out completely
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts chopped
- 1 ripe avocado sliced (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Stir together salsa water, rice, beans, and peppers in a large skillet.
- Nestle chicken breasts into salsa mixture, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Stir to make sure rice is all covered with liquid, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer for 45-60 minutes, until rice is tender, stirring once or twice during cooking.
- Shred chicken with two forks and stir into rice.
- To serve, place a bed of lettuce into each bowl and top with chicken and rice mixture.
- Top with your favorite toppings like avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, or additional salsa.
To speed up the cooking time, substitute white rice or quinoa, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl
You’ll also love these one-dish Mexican dinners: