No one will guess the secret ingredient in these Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you replaced some of the butter with avocado in your chocolate chip cookie recipe? Maybe not, but are you wondering now that I mentioned it? I got this idea a couple weeks ago and finally got around to trying it. The result? The cookies were a tad weird but solidly good, and since avocado is a healthier choice than butter, I definitely call these avocado chocolate chip cookies a success! I regret not taking a picture of step one, when the butter, avocado, and sugars were creamed together, because it was a beautiful, creamy, green sight. After that, it was pretty much cookie business as usual until I checked on the first batch as it was baking. As it turns out, avocado doesn’t melt. Or brown. The cookie dough balls hadn’t changed shape at all during baking since I guess it takes melting to cause spreading. Never fear! I just mashed them down a bit into cookie shapes, and they were totally fine. I pressed the second batch into cookie shapes before baking, and that’s what I recommend in the recipe. I was too much of a chicken to replace ALL of the butter with avocado. If you try it, please let me know what happens! I did do my usual tricks of using some whole wheat flour and raw sugar. The raw sugar adds a bit of a crystalized texture here and there, which I don’t mind at all. If you want to be a normal person and bake normal cookies (you know, except for the fact that you are putting avocado in them) just use white flour and white/brown sugars. (I swear I’m going to write a normal cookie recipe soon!) As for the color, I mentioned earlier that the cookies didn’t quite brown except on the bottoms. They weren’t obviously green, but you could see a faint greenish color if you knew what you were looking for. I didn’t dare mention to my kids that avocado was involved, and I didn’t tell The Pants until after he had tasted one. Everyone enjoyed devouring these chocolate chip cookies whether or not they knew about the secret ingredient. I’m sure you will too!
- Hawaiian Pasta Salad - July 21, 2016
- 25 Blueberry Recipes You Will Love! - July 18, 2016
- Meatloaf, BBQ Quesadillas, and More! – Dinner Menu #182 - July 16, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #181: Mango Salad, Ham Pasta, and More! - July 8, 2016
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta - July 7, 2016
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats - July 6, 2016
- Summer Dinner Recipes: Weekly Dinner Menu #180 - July 2, 2016
- Red White and Blue Fluff Salad - July 1, 2016
- Spicy Mac and Cheese with Pork - June 28, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #179: Reunited! - June 24, 2016