Soaking beans can be a pain. Luckily these recipe ideas for cooking dried beans don’t require an overnight soak!
Cooking Dried Beans Without Soaking Overnight
I have a love/hate relationship with dried beans. I love that they are cheap, easy to store, and free of salt or preservatives. I hate that I have to remember to soak them the night before. I inevitably forget and curse the beans the next morning when I realize I can’t make the recipe I planned for that day. Then I swear I’ll remember that night, forget again, and the beans get shoved to the back of the pantry.
Fortunately, there are a lot of recipes for cooking dried beans that don’t require soaking or use a quick-soak method. The slow cooker is one way you can skip soaking, or some beans like lentils don’t have to be soaked at all. Today I want to share 10 recipe ideas using dried beans that can be made in one day without soaking the night before (in case you have a bad memory like I do). Now you can buy dried beans and actually use them! Let’s get cooking!
10 Easy and Quick Recipes for Cooking Dried Beans
- White Bean Lentil Garlic Dip by Brooklyn Farm Girl – Pamela uses a 1-hour soak method that gets this healthy and delicious dip ready in a hurry!
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice – This is one of my most popular recipes I think because it’s as easy as it is delicious. You can throw the dried red beans right into the slow cooker with no soaking!
- Tex Mex Black-Eyed Pea Casserole by Recipe Girl – You only need a half-hour for cooking the dried beans used in this amazing comfort food dish.
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans by Mom on Timeout – These refried beans look so perfect, and they couldn’t be easier to make!
- Slow Cooker Turkey and Lentil Sloppy Joes by Yummy Healthy Easy – How clever is this?! Add lentils to your sloppy joes for extra protein and fiber.
- Split Pea Soup with Smoked Gouda by The Food Charlatan – This beautifully green soup has ham and cheese, so I’m sold!
- Slow Cooker Lentil and Brown Rice Tacos – Economical and easy, and you won’t even miss the meat!
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili by Vegan in the Freezer – In this recipe, Ginny specifically tells us not to soak the beans. Love it!
- Healthy Stew with Sausage and Kale – Enjoy a bowl of hearty stew loaded with lentils, barley, greens, and more.
- Maple Spice Boston Baked Beans by The Daring Gourmet – Kimberly shares a quick-soak shortcut to skip the overnight soak on these luscious baked beans.
Thanks so much for posting,I’m making the red beans and rice tonight!!
I hope they turned out well, Barbara. Thank you!
Ginny McMeans says
Really a great round-up Andi. Those tacos and lentil sloppy joe’s have got me all excited. :)
Thank you, Ginny! Glad you like it!
Karen @ The Food Charlatan says
This is a genius recipe round up idea Andi! I’m loving it! Thanks for including my Split pea soup. I happen to be making it this week! Next I’m going to try those lentil sloppy joes! Yum!
Thank you, Karen! I love your soup recipe. Adding gouda is genius!
All nice recipes. Thank you Andi.
Thank you for all of these yummy recipes!
Thank YOU, Joanne! Have a good weekend :)
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
What a fabulous roundup of bean recipes, Andi, they all look so good!! Thanks so much for the inclusion of the baked beans! :)
Thanks, Kimberly! I hope to try your baked beans soon. They sound perfect!
Angie S says
Thanks for the great list Andi!!!
You’re welcome, Angie! Thank you!