What says Christmas time more than cookies on Christmas Eve? Today I’m bringing you an easy recipe for soft molasses cookies, perfect for holiday goodie bags or cookies for Santa!
Are you getting in the holiday spirit by baking lots of treats? That’s the best part! (Well, maybe eating the treats is the best part.) These baking mix cookies are easy to make and rich in molasses flavor. I love using baking mix because it makes for a few less ingredients to measure. It was also an easy way for me to make mine gluten free since I can substitute GF baking mix cup for cup for something like Bisquick or Jiffy.
Since these molasses cookies are so simple to make, it will be no problem to whip up a batch on Christmas Eve to leave out for Santa. Are your kids excited about Santa coming? My oldest knows he isn’t real but plays along with my youngest, who does believe. I actually never told my little one he was real (or not), but he wants to believe so we’re going with it.
What are your Christmas Eve traditions? I grew up receiving special pajamas as my one Christmas Eve gift and listening to Twas the Night Before Christmas before bed. I’ve kept up those traditions with my boys. My husband grew up actually opening all their gifts on Christmas Eve, but I nixed that idea right away ;) I would love to hear about how you spend the night before Christmas let me know in the comments! Also let me know how you like these cookies :)
Baking Mix Soft Molasses Cookies
These delicious soft molasses cookies use baking mix as a shortcut. They are perfect for the holidays or an after school treat any time!
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 1x
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups baking mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/4 cup dusting sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-low or vigorously by hand. Mix in egg and molasses on low until smooth.
- Add baking mix, cinnamon, and ginger, and stir until well combined. Use a medium disher to scoop balls of dough two-inches apart on baking sheet. Drop a pinch of dusting sugar on top of each cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Halfway through baking, use a spoon to press the cookies down in the center into a flatter shape. Cool cookies on baking rack before storing.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
Want more ideas for cookies for Santa? Try these!