If you want to learn how to prepare authentic Chinese egg rolls in less than 30 minutes, you are in the right place! This crispy recipe uses affordable and simple ingredients, has the easiest steps and instructions, and you also can watch a video recipe for even more help!
Who doesn’t love Chinese takeout? I only heard about those strange people, and I have only one thing to say about them… I can’t believe you, guys… sorry! Even though it is a lazy Saturday afternoon, a late work night or a nice meal with some friend over, Asian crispy egg rolls with ground pork, veggies, and soy sauce are one great snack!
What Are Egg Rolls?
Egg Rolls are a Chinese dish that is known to be a mixture of meats and diced vegetables in a flaky, crispy fried shell. Keep in mind that these rolls are not the same as spring rolls.
Spring rolls are wrapped in flour or rice wrappers, while egg rolls are wrapped in a thicker, crispier wrapper that’s been dipped in eggs in order to pack them. Spring rolls are typically baked or fried, whereas egg rolls are best fried.
What Is Egg Roll Filling Made of?
The most famous egg rolls are fried in oil and filled with veggies and ground meat (usually pork). They are filled with cabbage, carrots, onions, and chopped roasted pork/ground pork. The fried skin of an egg roll has little crackly bubbles that are crispy and savory. They can also contain chicken, shrimp, bean sprouts, and seeds.
Also, the most interesting fact about this dish is the mystery of the name – there are no eggs in egg rolls!
How to Make Crispy Egg Rolls at Home
Even though my little monsters are not keen on Asian food and Chinese takeout, my hubby and I have a secret affair with all of the Panda Express products. I don’t know if it’s about the college memories, the way it all smells in there, or just about the fact that we are such hopeless foodies, but we will almost starve our kids for some egg rolls. Don’t judge – parenting is hard!
However, that’s exactly why I wanted this easy and quick egg roll recipe with ground pork and veggies to be posted on my blog. I want all the Chinese take-out food fans out there to know the trick! We all deserve to eat how many egg rolls we can without paying a little fortune! So, here it is, my loves – the one and only homemade crispy egg rolls recipe!
Here is the ingredient list for my pork and vegetable egg rolls recipe. Keep in mind that these are the amounts of the ingredients for only 2 servings or so. So, if you want to make enough for the whole family, just double or triple the quantity. Even though the final result is a plate full of 12 nice golden egg rolls, I made them disappear in only 10 minutes with the help of my hubby…
What you need to make the rolls:
- 12 egg roll wrappers;
- 1 egg (beaten);
- oil (for frying).
What you need to make the filling:
- seeds mix;
- salt and pepper (to taste);
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce;
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil;
- 1/4 cup green onions (sliced);
- 3 cups red cabbage (chopped);
- 1 big carrot (grated);
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced);
- 3/4 pound ground pork.
Easy Step-by-Step Recipe
Now it’s time to learn exactly the steps and techniques to make Chinese takeout egg rolls in your own kitchen. Breathe, loves! This is one of the easiest recipes I know… You just toss every ingredient in a saucepan, cook them for several minutes, fill and fold the rolls, and fry. However, don’t believe me, just try it preparing it yourself and tell me how it was in the comment section below.
- Heat the 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground pork and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, breaking up the pork with a spatula until the meat is browned and cooked through.
- Next, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the red cabbage, carrot, and green onions. Cook until cabbage is wilted (about 3-4 minutes).
- Finally, add the soy sauce and seed mix. Stir and remove from heat.
- Spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of filling onto each egg roll wrapper and fold according to package directions.
- Keep in mind to use the beaten egg to seal the edges of the wrappers as you pack your egg rolls.
- Pour approximately 2-3 inches of oil into a deep pot.
- Heat the oil and fry 3-4 egg rolls at a time. Don’t forget to turn them on both sides until golden brown all over (approximately 3 minutes). Don’t overcook them!
- Drain them on paper towels, then serve with soy sauce or any dip you prefer.
- If you usually don’t consume pork meat, use ground chicken instead.
- If you prefer to bake your egg rolls, you can coat them with cooking spray and bake them at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes (or until browned and crispy).
Chinese Egg Rolls Video Recipe
Well, well, well… if it isn’t our favorite part of this whole article – the video recipe for Asian egg rolls! It was an insane week for both my husband and me, so the fact that we actually made this video is proof that I love you too much! (and also that he adores me;) )
Enjoy Your Chinese Takeout Rolls Made at Home!
Finally, here is the famous Chinese egg rolls recipe that every Chinese takeout fan deserves to know! I really hope you’ll find it as yummy, flavored, and easy to make as I consider it.
In addition, I really wanted to let you know that I’m here for all your further questions about the crispy egg rolls recipe, the kitchen in general, and everything else I can help with. Please let me know your curiosities and dilemmas in the comment section below. I always make time to take a look at that section and answer all my loves’ questions.
Last but not least, here are more Chinese recipes that you can prepare for an authentic Asian dinner table with your loved ones: