Being on a gluten-free diet doesn’t need to make you sacrifice your favorites on Thanksgiving. Try this Gluten-Free Dressing made with Southern cornbread in your slow cooker, and you won’t miss a thing!
If there is one dish that says, “Thanksgiving” to me, it’s cornbread dressing. This has always been my very favorite part of the meal. I grew up near lots of family on my mom’s side, and we had big Thanksgiving dinners at my grandma’s house with I think over 30 people. Some would sit at the dining table, but since there were so many of us, folks would grab a plate and eat in the living room or at the kitchen counter or wherever they could find a spot. My grandma would always make two giant pans of dressing, one hot with lots of cayenne and one mild. I always went for a heaping helping of the hot. My mom is pretty good at making that family favorite dish too, and she taught me how. I have been practicing my cornbread dressing since I moved to California almost 15 years ago because most years I’ve cooked Thanksgiving dinner at our house. I miss those big gatherings, but now everyone has spread out, my grandma passed away, and travelling at the holidays is hectic and expensive. Since cornbread dressing is my favorite part of the holiday, imagine my dismay whenI realized that not being able to eat wheat anymore would make the bread part of cornbread a problem. I considered just throwing caution (and my digestive tract) to the wind for this one day of the year, eating whatever I wanted, and dealing with a week of feeling sick afterward. Then, I decided there must be a better way. Cornbread is mostly cornmeal, which is A-OK. I was taught to use day-old canned biscuits for the other part of the bread, so I really just needed to substitute that. This version uses gluten-free sandwich bread instead, and it turned out great! I am willing to say this slow cooker cornbread dressing is just about as good as the version I grew up with. It’s extra convenient too since it’s made in the slow cooker and doesn’t take up precious oven space on Thanksgiving. If you can’t eat wheat, this is the dressing for you!
Looking for more recipes for your Thanksgiving table? Try these!
- One Pot Black Eyed Peas and Rice with Chicken - August 23, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #187: Sneaking in Veggies - August 20, 2016
- Perfect Mexican Rice - August 19, 2016
- Quick Hasselback Potatoes - August 15, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #186: Back to School Dinners - August 13, 2016
- 20 Strawberry Recipes You Don’t Want to Miss! - August 10, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #185: Trying (again) to get healthy. - August 6, 2016
- Waldorf Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps - August 2, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #184: Slow Cooker Roast, Taquitos, Salad, and More! - July 31, 2016
- Mexican Coleslaw in 5 Minutes - July 26, 2016