Do you remember what you did during summer break when you were a kid? I remember a lot of playing in the hose, watching some TV, coloring, doing puzzles, etc. I think most summers we went on vacation to Destin, FL, and there was a week of church camp before school started. Otherwise, it was basically just hanging out.
If you are a parent, what do your kids do all summer? In San Francisco, most elementary school kids go to day camps for the summer, including mine. Many parents work and need the childcare, but I’m a stay at home mom. Why don’t I just keep both kids at home with me all summer?
Our oldest is very active. VERY. He can’t just hang out at home (unless the TV is on) and always wants to know what’s next. We would both go crazy if I was his main entertainment for twelve weeks. Our city’s park and rec department has lots of fun, affordable camps, so he has been booked up for July. Are you ready to hear what his camp is currently? Breakdancing and Garden Gourmet. That’s right, my kid is going to breakdancing camp. He was less than thrilled about this for the first couple days (even though he loves doing amateur breakdancing at home), but by the end of the first week he was loving it. I can’t wait to see his performance coming up in a few days.
He has especially enjoyed the Garden Gourmet portion of camp, which combines gardening and cooking. Maybe he takes after me and will like to cook! Speaking of cooking, here’s the easy weekly dinner menu that I have created for you for this week. I hope you enjoy these dishes as much as we did!
- Lightened-Up Deep Dish Pizza: This pizza dough takes a while to rise, so it’s not the best for busy weeknights. If you have a stand mixer, it is easy to make and mostly hands off. You will love the crust and filling, and it’s healthier than classic deep dish pizza.
- Chicken and Dressing Casserole with Green Beans – Sure it’s July, but this easy casserole recipe lets you enjoy a taste of Thanksgiving any time of year! I served this with Roasted Parmesan Green Beans (minus the parmesan) from Skinny Taste.
- Cheese Tortellini with Sausage in a Creamy Broth – You can make this versatile pasta dish on the spicy side like I did by using andouille sausage and hot sauce. Not in the mood for Cajun flavors? Just substitute whatever type of sausage that floats your boat!
- Shrimp Salad with Corn and Tangy Lime Dressing – This one appeared on a menu a few weeks ago, but I wanted to recommend it again while fresh corn is still available! This salad is delicious, easy, and healthy. Who could ask for more?
- Pasta in White Wine Pesto Sauce – This pasta loaded with artichoke hearts and grape tomatoes can be made with your choice of chicken or salmon. I was in the mood for fish, but I know chicken would be just as good if not better in this recipe!
- Chicken Taco Dip – Enjoy a fun taco night with this layered dip! I hosted a mom’s sangria party last weekend. I didn’t put this on the menu, but I should have! It makes for a tasty and fun dinner.
- Jalapeno Popper Burgers with Oven Fries – These stuffed burgers only take a little longer to make than regular burgers, but they are so worth it! Serve with Cajun Oven Fries if you have time, or bake frozen fries in a 450 degree F oven for about 25 minutes.
I have a couple fun recipes in store for next week, including one involving CHOCOLATE and COFFEE. I can’t wait to show it to you!
Don’t miss out on any recipes, photos, or funny tidbits!
Follow me on:
Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ or Bloglovin!
You can subscribe to posts by email too!
I’m looking forward to keeping in touch!
Cajun fries sound like fun! The pizza is my first pick as it looks so different. Will definitely try. What is your favorite this week?
Happy Hour note: still haven’t made your ice-cream cocktail, but have some vanilla soft serve so it’s on my list this week. I also bought some fun new beverage syrups at the farmers’ market yesterday–ginger lime and orange & chipotle. The orange & chipotle was recommended as something to stir into beer and man was it good that way. Any suggestions for the ginger lime flavor?