Recently, I found a recipe for 3-Ingredient Avocado Fudge at Heather’s Dish. I knew I had to try it just based on the name. Heather specifically recommended against trying to make this in the microwave, and I took that as a challenge.
I usually limit my microwave use to heating leftovers and not actually cooking, but I do think melting chocolate is one of its strengths. I mean, Alton Brown says it’s OK, and who’s going to argue with that guy?
So, I set out to prove that I could in fact make this fudge in the microwave, and let me tell you, it worked great! It took all of about three minutes, and it is pretty darn tasty. You can see a few flecks of avocado (serve it in the dark to picky children), but all you can taste is rich, dark chocolate. The texture is unbelievably melty and divine. I didn’t add any sweetener, so this version is for dark chocolate lovers.
Microwave Avocado Fudge
Only takes 3-1/2 ingredients and 3-1/2 minutes!
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate bar
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed smooth
- coarsely ground salt, optional
- Spray a 4 or 5″ dish lightly with cooking spray.
- Break chocolate bar into smallish chunks in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, remove, and stir well.Microwave 30 seconds more, remove, and stir again. It will probably be mostly melted at this point. If not, replace and microwave 20-30 seconds more.
- Add coconut oil, and stir well. Microwave for 30 seconds more, remove and stir. After stirring, all chocolate and coconut oil should be melted and smooth. If not, continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Add mashed avocado to melted chocolate and whisk very well until smooth. Pour into dish. Sprinkle coarsely ground salt over the top if desired. Chill in refrigerator for 3 hours or until firm. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
Weary Chef’s Note: Melting chocolate in the microwave works very well, but it’s important to only do short intervals and stir often. Don’t get distracted and let it cook too long, or your chocolate will burn!