Grab a glass of milk to enjoy with these perfectly chewy Hot Chocolate Cookies with Chocolate Chips!
One could say that this post is a month late. Hot chocolate cookies sound kind of like a Christmas recipe, but who only eats cookies and drinks hot chocolate in December? Definitely not me. This recipe is good any time of year, and if you aren’t making them for Christmas, you don’t have to share them with friends or Santa. That guy always eats more than his fair share if you ask me.
I’m not pretending like this is a super inventive recipe. Chocolate chip cookies are nothing new, and I thought I was just making these for our family over the break and not for the blog. Then we all loved them so much that it seemed only right to share the recipe with you. The hot cocoa powder doesn’t make them overly chocolatey, but it adds a nice flavor that tastes almost like coffee.
These were the first food photos I ever took at our country house, and I didn’t have any of my “stuff” there for photos except my camera. Since I didn’t have anything in the way of linens or props (not that I have much anyway), I just focused on the cookies. I kind of like the simplicity of that. What do you think? Do you like photos that are beautifully staged, or do you prefer closeups of the food?
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 ounces hot chocolate mix (two packets)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- By hand or with an electric mixer on medium speed, stir together butter and sugar until well mixed and fluffy. Stir in egg until smooth.
- Add flour, hot cocoa mix, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Stir until dry ingredients are completely incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop balls of dough two inches apart on prepared baking sheets (12 cookies per pan). Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown and centers are set. Allow to cool before removing from cookie sheet.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
Here is more cookie goodness for you to try: